Book Shelf

Rahul's bookshelf: read

Digital Fortress
Life of Pi
The God of Small Things
The Alchemist
A Thousand Splendid Suns
Twilight
The Illicit Happiness of Other People
Serious Men
2 States: The Story of My Marriage
Five Point Someone: What Not to Do at IIT
The 3 Mistakes of My Life
Revolution 2020: Love, Corruption, Ambition
One Night at the Call Center
Can Love Happen Twice?
What Young India Wants
The Bankster
The Da Vinci Code
The Sins of the Father
The Test of My Life
I Too Had A Love Story..

Saturday 2 July 2016

Eulogy For A Housefly

Since the day Kevadiya received its first rain of monsoon, I was being pestered by this housefly, who leaving all other employees at office, choose me, an intern who was supposed to be there for just 45 days. He started making daily visits, just like the managers, an hour or so after I had made it to the office. I wondered at how it managed it's way to a closed air conditioned space and yelled at the office boy whenever I saw any door or window open. I knew I was harsh at him, but I couldn't stand this fly. He made his exit just like his entrance, leaving no clue but made sure to show up the every following day. He would first fly in and sit on my laptop screen, then to my keyboard and then to the sheets of paper on my desk, with a catch me if you can attitude. All my attempts to get rid of this nasty creature went in vain and every time I could see him victorious, looking at me with his brown compound eyes and transparent wings which kept vibrating all the time. The buzzing sound of its wings and the rubbing of his hands on every surface it sat made me sick. I made the office boy clean my cubicle twice a day, called my mom for solution toget rid of him and even Googled. Whatever I did was just not enough to get rid of him. I was even skeptical about my personal hygiene and doubled up the use of hand wash and sanitizer just to get rid of this pest. Many at times, I have been subjected to bizarre stares from my colleagues for the way I get annoyed in it's presence. They made fun of me and even called me mad.  This continued for around two weeks and I am sure he has read almost every single word of my internship report. 
Today, it's the last day of my internship. With my report ready and manager on leave, I had nothing to do but waste time surfing Internet. I felt so bored and asked the office boy for a cup of coffee, making sure my friend is nowhere near me. The office boy was surprised to hear this as I always made it to the pantry room, whenever I wanted to have coffee, thanks to my friend. He brought me a cup and to my surprise, along the boy came my friend, as usual with the buzzing sound of it's vibrating transparent wings. The very sight of him took away my interest in that cup of coffee. I left it on the desk and returned my glance back to the laptop screen. A few minutes later, I was not hearing that buzzing sound anymore and as I looked into the cup, I could see him laying there, dead.
Seeing him dead in the cup of coffee, I was happy. I got rid of him forever. I was overjoyed by the fact that I need not feel any  guilt as I had no hand in it. He did it himself. I clicked the pic and looked at his as an achievement of finally putting an end to a 15 day old rivalry. But then, what did this little fly do to me to make me hate it? It was not different from any other housefly. I am not sure even if it was the same one who came in everyday. What is right from my part to click a pic of it's dead, motionless body in a cup of coffee and post it on a social platform?  What is happening to me? Why am I writing all this crap when I can make use of this free time and read a book or do something productive?  
Maybe he wanted to tell me something, to build a friendship with me, give me company or something else maybe.. 

No comments: